Monday, August 23, 2010

Letter 3 ~ O'hara from Tara
(from the back of the envelope)

Monday Dec 13
Dear Scarlett,
 Contrary to popular opinion 1:30 a.m. is not an "ungodly hour." It is an hour when we are closest to God, to our souls and to that little devil that shuns sunlight, our conscience. I, too, went to highschool when boys took no for an answer and married virgins--at least, in theory.
 The "real thing" was wonderful for many years, waned slowly like a harvest moon and faded out completely more years back than I like to remember. There is still hormonal stirring in my genes but it wouldn't affect the angle of my designer jeans, if I had designer jeans. I await a miraculous {illegible} with mixed feelings of wonder and apprehension. I wouldn't want to break anything at this stage of the game. 
 Martha and our other well-wishers are very kind but you are used to walk slowly. We have had a lot of "past" and very little "present" so far. We can go on as we are almost indefinitely. I will be patient. Even if we do "get there" it will take a lot of time and there will be a lot of loose ends to be tied before we could remarry with a clear conscience. 
 You are a caring, intelligent, interesting, sensitive, cheerful, lovable lady. I can't believe that I can be so lucky twice. I love you very much and I intend to do everything I can to make you happy.
 Passionately,
 Rhett 

No comments:

Post a Comment